Please help – my kitten is acting like he’s drunk?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens Please help – my kitten is acting like he’s drunk?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    jcat
    Participant

Hi, WDNYT, welcome to TDK! I don’t know how Skyron’s kitten caught toxoplasmosis but kitties can catch it through eating infected rats or through coming into contact with the faeces of other cats who have it. Other TDKers may have more information.

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

Skyron, bless you for seeing the urgency in Stumpie’s condition and bless your vet for taking that extra step in his care.

Skyron
    Participant

WDNYT, toxoplasmosis can be transmitted from mothers to their babies, through their milk or whilst still in the womb, or through contact with feces of an infected cat. My vet said most cats will actually test positive for it, but they very rarely develop symptoms – its only in immuno-compromised cats that symptoms sometimes appear. Stumpie was a bottle-baby, so he never got any colustrum or antibodies from his mum, and was probably infected in utero . ..

Skyron
    Participant

I checked on my baby again this morning – he was up in his cage, walking (albeit a bit on the wobbly side) and rubbing up on the side of the cage. He was very happy to see me 🙂 I fed him his soup, and he finished all of it. The vet is pleased with his progress, but the child cant come home yet.

SoxsMom
    Participant

It is encouraging that he is up and walking, continued prayers for his recovery and comfort for you Skyron.

HuddysMama
    Participant

Prayers for Stumpie. Prayers for you too, Skyron.

Jeankit
    Participant

TLC Prayers going out for Stumpie and Skyron!

Moonshadow_NZ

TDK Healing Energy for Stumpie.

jcat
    Participant

{{{HUGS}}} and healing energy for Stumpie and his mama.

Karenopa
    Participant

Oh My! Poor Stumpy! I’m so glad you took Stumpy in as quickly as you did and I have to say that your vet ROCKS!! Little Stumpy has a long row to hoe but with a wonderful vet like yours helping and you for a mom…he’s got the best chance of recovery one could ever hope for. Prayers and positive thoughts being sent your way.

wickdnytemare
    Participant

That must be the best news I’ve heard all day long! I hope he keeps getting better and stronger every day so you can take him home soon!

Skyron
    Participant

Guys, my heart is feeling heavy again 🙁 The vet said I could take Stumpie home tonight, but I have to take him back tomorrow. The idea is that we might be able to work out an arrangement where he comes home in the evenings and stays there during the day – Stump went to a shelter after I weaned him, and then he came back to live with me, and I’m so scared that he’s gonna think I abandoned him again. The child is sleeping on the couch right now, but his gums are soooo pale, with an almost yellow-ish tinge to it. I’m worried about his liver. I’m going to ask the vet to run his BUN test again tomorrow. He has bursts of energy, and then he crashes for a while, but he does this weird staring-thing – he’ll just sit and stare at the floor, or the wall . . . I checked, there’s not even the tiniest bug for him to be looking at. Is this the brain-damage coming through?

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

I think that as long as Stumpie is seeing you most every day (either when you visit or when you bring him home for the night) he won’t feel like you have abandoned him.

It’s probably a good idea to ask the vet to keep a close watch on his liver functions, although it sounds like your vet is pretty much on top on things.

A human recovering from a serious bout of illness would get tired faster and sleep more so that sounds like it’s okay. You know how you feel when you have had a bad cold or the flu – you think you are all better and you resume normal activities only to find that you don’t have any stamina.

So far as staring at the wall, lots of cats stare at absolutely nothing, so that’s not a good indicator of brain damage. Ask the vet exactly what kind of damage he thinks Stumpie could have. Then you know what to be looking for. It’s not like Stumpie could read and write, or was planning to be a rocket scientist. If he’s just a little slow or clumsy, he’ll still be lovable and able to have a good life.

jcat
    Participant

I agree with CBM. I’m so sorry he can’t be home with you all the time yet but that sounds like the best possible arrangement for STumpie, so that he gets the medical attention he needs all day and his meowmy’s loving attention all night, when the staff have gone home. I don’t think he’s going to feel abandoned at all if he’s coming home every night to sleep in his own place. Perhaps, during the day, the vet would let you take in an old jumper or sweater for Stumpie to sleep on, something that smells of you, so he will feel comforted (although infection control might mean this isn’t possible).

I remember TaraRose asked once (I think it was TaraRose) if we thought Little was not very bright because he stared at nothing at all and looked ‘out of it’ some of the time. Well, there are no problems with Little now! I think maybe the staring thing is just because he’s exhausted and sick and medicated. Goodness knows I do it!

I’ve known one or two cats with brain damage and I loved them to bits, they were so sweet and affectionate. The brain damage showed in shivering or shaking a lot of the time, and being very wobbly when they walked, but that just makes you love them even more. {{{Skyron and Stumpie}}}

wickdnytemare
    Participant

Oh no! Skyron I am so sorry .. it does sound like brain damage to me or maybe it just the affect of the meds hes on?

wickdnytemare
    Participant

I think a special kitty is just like a special child .. my 11 year old is special and I think shes the brightest crayon in the box .. it just makes me love her more and now that I’ve read what others put I think it may just be his body adjusting .. I wouldnt worry about him thinking that you’ve abandoned him, he knows he is loved .. thats whats great about them

Skyron
    Participant

He has a squirrel-teddy in his cage with him. The squirrel lived inder my shirt, and slept in my bed with me a few nights, I’m sure it reeks of me by now. The main thing I’m worried about is his pale gums – the are the same shade of white as his teeth, which scares the hell out of me. But I’m sure my vet will shoot me if I drag him out of bed again, so there’s nothing to do but wait till tomorrow morning. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks ofr all the hugs and prayers and white light, its much-appreciated!

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Were his gums pale when you picked him up at the vet’s office? If so, it’s probably something that has been addressed.

If his gums were pink a few hours ago and have become that white in just this little bit of time, call the vet. He is just as invested in little Stumpie as you are and won’t be too upset about being woken if it’s a life threatening problem.

Skyron
    Participant

Stumpie tested positive for feline aids and leukemia today. I’m still at a loss for words. I’ll check the tags for that later tonight, but if anyone has any specific information or websites or whatever to share, please let me know?

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Oh, Skyron, that is not what we wanted to hear. But keep a hopeful thought, the test results may be skewed by the meds he’s on and the other problems he has had. Talk to the vet about whether those results could be false positives.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.